Understanding Teeth Sensitivity
Why Are My Teeth Sensitive?
Are you feeling unexpected pain or discomfort when consuming hot or cold food and drinks, or even when you breathe through your mouth?
If so, you’re experiencing common symptoms of sensitive teeth.
Now, you might be wondering:
“Why are my teeth sensitive?”
Teeth sensitivity often occurs when the underlying layer of your teeth becomes exposed due to receding gum tissue.
What causes sensitive teeth?
A range of factors can lead to tooth sensitivity.
But the two main underlying reasons:
- Enamel loss
- Gum recession
If you’re bothered by sensitivity to hot or cold, it’s important to speak with your dentist in Gretna.
A thorough dental examination can help your doctor determine the underlying cause and formulate a treatment to eliminate pain.
Below are common causes of tooth sensitivity:
- Brushing too vigorously or too often
- Regular consumption of foods with a high acid content such as lemons, oranges, grapefruit, sugary sports drinks, and sodas
- Tooth-whitening toothpaste: it can give you a brighter smile, but you may be sensitive to chemicals in these whitening agents
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Tooth decay and plaque buildup
- Gum disease
Care and treatment for teeth sensitivity
It can be difficult to understand why tooth sensitivity occurs – and how to soothe it.
Our team of professionals at Neighborhood Dental can help identify and offer solutions to eliminate pain for optimal comfort.
Oftentimes, the uncomfortable feeling of sensitive teeth is most likely caused by enamel loss and gum recession.
The good news?
Sensitive teeth can be treated, depending on the cause of sensitivity.
Our dentists in Gretna, NE may recommend professional treatments or at-home options.
Professional treatment options include:
- Applying a fluoride varnish to exposed areas to strengthen your enamel
- Using a bonding agent and plastic sealant coatings to act as a protective barrier
- Gum grafting to replace receded gum tissue
- Root canal procedures
There are also various options you can do at home:
- Use Sensodyne toothpaste: Sensodyne is specially formulated to relieve and protect against tooth sensitivity and is the number one dentist-recommended toothpaste brand for sensitive teeth
- Chew sugarless gum to help increase saliva production, which strengthens your tooth enamel
- Maintain good oral hygiene
- Alter brushing habits by using a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Dietary adjustments
- Wear a mouthguard to protect your teeth from grinding
Treatment depends on the cause and severity of sensitivity, which is why we recommend visiting a doctor on our team for proper diagnosis.
Fight teeth sensitivity with dental experts
If you’re still experiencing teeth sensitivity after following the at-home care tips, make your appointment to see your local dentist in Gretna, NE today for professional treatment!
Our compassionate dentists at Neighborhood Dental use modern equipment and techniques to keep your teeth strong and healthy.
In-office treatments may include:
- Fluoride gel to strengthen the tooth and reduce pain
- Fillings, crowns, and bonding for exposed tooth surfaces
- Periodontal (gum) therapy
Schedule your appointment now.
Neighborhood Dental is located in Gretna Nebraska and Eastern South Dakota. We happily welcome patients from all over.
Comments are closed.